7th and Grand


I did this piece on Monday but haven't had time to blog it until now. The corners around 7th and Grand are very picturesque! I'm definately going to check out that part of downtown again soon... When I was doing this piece, a burly guy in a suit with a badge walked up to me and asked if I had a permit to do what I was doing. I was somewhat taken aback and I said "Well I'm not selling anything so I don't think I need a permit, do I?" and then this gentleman said so me, "Oh! I like what you're doing! I want to let you know I'm the owner of this building and that if you have any trouble from the police I want you to ring the bell and ask for me and I'll vouch for you that you have my permission to paint on my property." We chatted for a bit after that and I thanked him and gave him my card. That was exciting and fun! You meet such an interesting and wide array of people when you're painting on the street.

I'm not entirely sure if I like the horizontal composition but it was fun to switch it up and try something different... In the lower right of the painting is a special portrait commission of Oliver, another fellow I met on the street who really wanted to be painted into the piece! He crossed the street and posed for me for a minute and I threw him in. He was very pleased when he saw the results! oil on canvas, 22 by 28

Blog Archive