San Diego




I was with family in San Diego for Christmas and, of course, brought my painting supplies! The weather forecasters were predicting rain rain rain but fortunately they were wrong. I went out with my mom Tuesday and Friday and the light was PERFECT!! Cool and clear. The first painting is of La Jolla (oil on canvas, 28 by 22). Off Prospect St we went to the balcony of a restaurant that was closed and got this amazing vantage point from high up! The restaurant workers were coming back and forth, but they didn't seem to mind me working there, I think it was entertainment for their smoke-breaks. Then on Sunday I wanted to go into downtown San Diego and find something to paint. We ended up on Coronado Island. I wanted to find a nice shot of the Hotel del Coronado, but they've built so many unsightly outlying structures which block the main building that there's not a good view from the street anymore! Too bad... But this outlying building on the marina, built one year before the Hotel, had the same flavor of the main structure but to me was much more picturesque (oil on canvas, 30 by 24). Also here's a composite shot of the work in progress (starting upper left going clockwise): as you can see from the early pictures there is a failure underneath the current painting, un urban landscape of Tune-Up Masters in the Valley... it's good practice from time to time to paint over failed paintings because it's easier to dominate them! They suck! and so you are easily able to paint all over them as quickly as possible and thus GET TO THE POINT! ^_^

Blog Archive