carry-on landscapes





Here are four 11 by 14 landscapes I painted in Colorado, all small enough to fit in my carry-on luggage on the plane. I used alkyd rather that oil paint because it's much faster drying so I don't have to worry about wet paint when I get on the plane. When I painted the meadow, I got a ride out to the spot by Dave, one of the staff, and left by myself for two hours. About 15 minutes after Dave drove off and I was all set up to paint, suddenly seven giant mules and a mare showed up and surrounded me! The mare started biting my canvas, stuck his nose in my paint, was tearing at my backpack. It was kinda scary! But after a little yelling and slapping and loud noises I managed to scare them off and they left me alone the rest of the time... The painting of the horse is Jake who was my nephew Sean's ride. My favorite one was the orange tractor! They are all painted plein air.

Blog Archive