master copy


Art Center is on break for three weeks! But I'm still teaching. Today I had a student come by who wanted a painting lesson. I don't normally do that, but last term was so frazzled since I was filling in for another teacher who had a heart attack, that I felt like I owed him (and frankly all the students in last term's class) So we decided to both do a master copy, it's always a good way to practice seeing and painting values... He picked a painting by Moroni and we went for it. It's a very simple composition and a very limited palette. We started with a monochrome acrylic underpainting and then painted in oil on top with a limited palette of White, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Venetian Red, Mars Violet Deep, Burnt Umber, and Blue Black. I liked how mine came out so I thought I'd post this detail of the painting to my blog.

Blog Archive