brünnhilde


There was a paint-out, technically a paint-in (which is good because it was pouring rain all day), down in Costa Mesa today and the whole California Art Club was invited. It was in a huge warehouse that is normally a gallery and framer. There were four areas set up with models in costumes themed from Wagner's Ring series opera, and from what I understand it was an event done in partnership with the LA Opera which is performing the ring cycle in 2010. I carpooled with John Kilduff and when we got there the place was ridiculously crowded! easels everywhere! I managed to find a spot in front of Brünnhilde and went at it. It looks everything and nothing like what I saw! I wanted to make something bolder than what was just in front of me so I made the model more iconic, like my sloppy version of Aristide Maillol! ahahaha!! She is much thicker in my painting because I wanted to portray her as a warrior. It was done on two separate 16 by 20 canvas panels because I didn't have a long canvas. It's kind of a mess, but it's all about trying to make the most of a themed model workshop with many things beyond the artist's control

Blog Archive