the flight into egypt



I've been working more on the copy of Bassano's Flight into Egypt which I started on Painting the Town episode 3, fastforward to 22min. On the show I blocked in the painting with accurate color but total disregard for "drawing"... only trying to put the right color in generally the right place (something I discussed w/ regard to a van Gogh quote in episode 4, fastforward to 8min30sec) I let that dry but as it was doing so I carefully smoothed out the paint a bit using fan brushes and fingers and palette knives, etc knowing I was going to work more over it and didn't want too much impasto. Then I imposed a equal proportion grid over my print of the original and my painting copy and with a set of pastels, began to move the color shapes to their more "accurate" places (which is the first photograph) and then I gave the painting an entire second coat of oil corresponding to the new 'drawing'. It's a fun way of easing into detail without ever feeling choked up or stifled with the process. oil on canvas, 24 by 40

Blog Archive