Fantasy 3D Street Painting


My first street painting post pregnancy was a really fun one!  I was part of a wonderful project created  by PlanetStreetPainting for the city of Lelystad, The Netherlands.  There were eight 3D street paintings to be created by 9 international artists throughout downtown Lelystad to kickoff the start of their cultural season.  It was a wonderful opportunity to meet up with old friends from Germany, Holland, Mexico, Italy, the Netherlands, and to work again with Peter Westerink of PlanetStreetPainting.

I wanted to create something that was 3D but also very interactive for the public.  I did several 3D concepts before I came upon a children's book illustration of the princess & the pea.  As soon as I saw it I knew it was perfect!  So I drew a sunken room with a huge stack of colorful mattresses...and at the top, you can sit for a photo op as the princess.  We even had crowns.  It was a bit hit, especially with the children.  And in Dutch...'De Prinses en de Erwt.'

Childrens' book illustration by Ashley Smith

I really like this pic because it looks so impossible ;)  The top of the painting extended about 36 feet.

And the stretch.


Blog Archive