Street Paintings Swirl into Watercolors

I was in Napa, California this weekend at La Strada Dell' Arte Festival.It was exciting to be chosen as this years featured artist so I chose a very ambitious image to paint. The painting I chose is called 'Freyja'.

I saw it for the first time in a book of Mythology. I believe Freyja is the Norse Goddess of Love.
In this image she is flying through the air in her chariot pulled but two cats and surrounded by a flock of pudgy cherubs. She cries tears of gold as she searches for her roaming lover. It is a beautiful image by Scottish artist NJO Blommers. It is the first time I have heard of him but worth looking into.



The first day of work began with cloudy weather which soon turned into a thunder storm.

This is the picture I took as the rain was streaming in under the plastic tarps and through the painting. I think it is quite beautiful. It creates these beautiful streams of marbelized color. Just after taking this picture we all ran for cover. The image was gone within a few minutes except for a ghosted remnant that stained the pavememnt.

People are so sad to see these paintings go and ask if I am hearbroken to see it washed away. I tell them that it is part of the process. The tradition of street painting is all about the ephemeral quality of the art. You know will only exist as a work of art until someone accidentally runs through it leaving a pattern of shoeprints or tire tracks. It is at the mercy of mother nature and the inevitable accidental spilled drink or overnight sprinkler system. Part of the beauty of this artform is that is is only there for a moment. For a moment it is beautiful and perfect in someones eyes. Then it is gone forever.
To read more about this weekends event visit me at How2StreetPaint.com

Blog Archive