Cindy's Coffee Shop


View Larger Map

This place is right up the street from me. The light this time of year is so amazing and so fleeting! I was up in Pasadena at the Art Center College of Design today helping one of my students out who missed some class time last Tuesday. I brought all my painting gear because I was thinking to paint a view of Pasadena and the Rose Bowl from the campus, but I looked all over and didn't see anything interesting to me. So I drove around a few places and then felt like I struck out and headed home. When I passed Cindy's and I knew I wanted to try and start a painting of it. I pulled over and with about 45 minutes until the sun went down, slapped this onto my canvas... no detail, no lettering, no finish, just trying to start getting a feel for the light at that time of day. I'll get detail later, the hard part is trying to get the color right! It's a fairly big plein air at 48 by 24 inches, but I think I did a decent lay-in given the short time span.

Blog Archive