to start a painting



Yesterday I did a sketch of Echo Park and today I started the piece at home. I had an old 24 by 48 inch canvas that I started a piece on a little while back, but it wasn't going anywhere. It's had some thick paint buildup, but it was all acrylic. So today in order to get something going and to overtake the underlying texture, I went all over it again with acrylic laying in the simplest structure super thick and by Saturday it'll be nice to take back to the location for color. It's a fun way to get going, especially if you have a good overall understanding of the lights and darks. In photoshop, I've superimposed the line drawing, which is a great way to get the composition more accurate because you can easily place the detail in relation to your brushstrokes. It's like a projection of sorts. The underpainting becomes it's own 'graticola'! acrylic on canvas, 24 by 48

Blog Archive