blizzard en plein air in DC



I was en plein air out in the snow in front of the capitol building during the blizzard on Feb 6th trying to capture the color but failing. Not because I couldn't paint what I saw but because of the 'slow-dry' acrylics I was using. They were perfect the rest of the trip, but in the snow they were total failure. The wind blew the snowflakes and they'd stick onto the wet paint surface, then the flakes would melt back into water and drip off the canvas panel taking the paint with it. I tried painting for an hour but realized what was happening and decided to save what I had and go home, it looked good! Also my good camera froze up so I couldn't get a decent photo. But the relentless snow on the long walk back to the hotel washed the entire painting off and in laughing frustration I flung it into a snowdrift. It's somewhere on Pennslyvania Ave washed away. These are the only shots I have of that day, I asked a passerby who took pics of me with my camera phone. It was a surreal experience!

Blog Archive