digital landscape


Here's a fantasy composition from photos taken at Travel Town in Griffith Park, Los Angeles. They have all sorts of old trains and engines to climb all over and that's where all the imagery comes from. All my photo reference is cut and pasted, rotated, flipped, distorted and whatnot in order to force them into the image I want to convey, then I compose the lighting for mood and structure. I imagine a person would be about the size to climb the huge staircase/gear in the upper right. I wanted to contrast two spatial illusions in the same picture, one of sharply plunging space on the top versus deeply falling space on the bottom. It was fun to experiment! The multiply layer effect in photoshop is >exactly< like how we would "light" the levels in the video game Spyro the Dragon. It's like memory lane! ^_^

Blog Archive