Faster Donuts



About a year ago I painted a landscape of Faster Donuts (click here for the old one) but I never really was thrilled with the painting. I didn't like the backlight because it didn't make the sign stand out. I got around to going back and giving the painting another coat, this time earlier in the day than the first time, and it was just what it needed, a bright, frontal blast of sunshine! I'm having more and more fun going back to previous landscape locations where the first attempt was a dud. It makes me realize how much I can really be rough and loose the first time around at a landscape, it doesn't need to start off perfect, just close enough and painted with a lot of dash and flavor. Plus I really like the more complex paint surface that happens when you work wet over dry. Here's the painting and a location shot from my camera phone. oil on canvas, 30 by 24

Blog Archive