Soul Journaling: Day 10

Open to the next two blank pages. If you are not working on watercolor paper you will need to Gesso both pages before you begin.

Today we are going to recreate our home. This can be where you currently live or a home from your past where you felt happiest and safest.

To start I drew a basic house shape with a pencil. This is symbolic of my house and doesn't look exactly like it. I am drawing low on the page because I also want the base of our homes to double as a pocket. I used a brown paper grocery bag for my base/pocket. I feel that the larger sized bags are a little thicker and stronger than the small lunch kind but just use what you have. I love recycling paper bags for my art. Not only are they a great substitute for some of the expensive papers out there but it just makes me feel good that I am putting one less bag into the landfills. I will frequently make entire books out of recycled paper bags.






Without measuring I eyeballed the aproximate size of my house and cut out a piece of paper bag that was slightly larger.



I folded over the top of my pocket to give it a nice edge and allow for extra strength at the opening.






I left a bit of a gap when I glued it down to allow for room inside the pocket too.
(this is the page view upside down)


Now I want to mention again this is just to symbolize your home. Obviously the shape won’t be an exact representation of where you live. Mine isn't this tall or even has this type of roof. We are trying to draw our homes as we did when we were children. Everything should be symbolic. I want you to continue working on your home by adding the doors, windows, roof, and any other outside identifying marks so that you know it belongs to you. I added a large window and similar door to the one I have now.

On the next opposite page I want you to draw more houses or your "outside world". I chose to draw more industrial looking buildings to represent mine but it is totally up to you what kind of buildings or surroundings you draw. Don’t go into too much fine detail yet.







That's all for today! I had so much fun I can't wait until tomorrow!




Blog Archive